Henrico, Va. Sept. 16, 2022 – Nuckols Farm Elementary School has been named a 2022 Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education, an honor the Henrico County school also earned in 2012, making it the only school in the division to be honored twice. The designation was announced this morning by U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona. The recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups. Nuckols Farm is one of 297 schools across the nation to receive the designation this year.
“Being named a 2022 National Blue Ribbon School is a tremendous honor,” said Crystal Metzger, Nuckols Farm principal. “Nuckols Farm is a family of educators, students and community members who work tirelessly each day to support our school and one another. I am exceptionally proud to serve as the school principal.”
“This recognition reflects the intentional work of our teachers and staff to meet every student where they are in their learning and provide them with the support and resources they need to be successful,” said Amy Cashwell, Henrico County Public Schools superintendent. “It also acknowledges the staff’s innovation, creativity and grit in serving students and ensuring meaningful engagement and growth amid the global pandemic.”
“The school board is thrilled to join the Nuckols Farm community in celebrating this incredible honor,” said Micky Ogburn, Three Chopt District representative on the Henrico School Board. “Our schools, teachers and students are truly the Heart of Henrico.”
Nuckols Farm and other recipient schools will be honored in November at a ceremony in Washington. The program is in its 39th year.
Henrico County schools that have earned the honor are:
- Nuckols Farm Elementary School, 2022
- Deep Run High School: 2018
- Twin Hickory Elementary School: 2014
- Nuckols Farm Elementary School: 2012
- Shady Grove Elementary School: 2007
- Pocahontas Middle School: 2006
- Short Pump Elementary School: 2003*
- Quioccasin (formerly Harry F. Byrd) Middle School: 1999-2000
- Jacob Adams Elementary School: 1998-99
- George Baker Elementary School: 1996-97
- Tuckahoe Middle School: 1994-96
- Douglas S. Freeman High School: 1992-93
- Mills E. Godwin High School: 1988-89
- R.C. Longan Elementary School: 1985-86
- Brookland Middle School: 1984-85
- Hermitage High School: 1983-84
*In 2002, the U.S. Department of Education began awarding the designation for calendar years instead of school years.